Print

Original Post Office Building and notable hotels Arlington and Cedarmere

Original Post Office Building

Built sometime before 1856 on the corner of Division and King street. In that year Ebenezer Perry sold it to the Bank of Montreal then in 1881 it was "conveyed" to W. D. Burn who sold it to the Crown in December 1882. However, it housed the Post Office from 1856 until 1960 when it was demolished and replaced by a "modern" monstrosity. Note that the idea of pre-paid post (paid by using a postage stamp) was only established in Canada in 1849.

post officeAt right - the Post Office on July 1, 1927 - decorated for Canada Day. Photo courtesy National Archives.


Click to enlarge photos.

post office

The photo at right shows the 48th Highlanders Band marching along King street - probably on an August day circa the early 1900s.

Mail distribution through the town started December 10, 1947 but there were Postmasters from ~1817 - although until 1849 rates were not fixed.

Photo post officeat right is about the same time.

Hotels

arlington-hotelArlington Hotel

Built in 1874 by William Chambliss, the Arlington was located on King Street at the north east end of Victoria park. It's rear lawn "extended to the water". This hotel features prominently in other articles on this site [use search to find them all] - but this photo was taken in 1915 which was after the height of its popularity.

 

cedarmereCedarmere Hotel

Located at the foot of Ontario street and originally residence of the Hon. James Cockburn, it was later turned into a hotel. This photo was taken in 1910. The building was demolished in 1933.